Bargaining Unit: Mgmt Classes, Classified & Exempt
Why join the Contra Costa County Administrators Office?
Do you want to make a difference and improve communities? Do you want to be a part of applying policies that lead to an effective and efficient government? Are you looking for a job that tests and grows your skills?
The Contra Costa County Administrator's Office is seeking one (1) enthusiastic and talented individual to serve as a key member of its professional management team. Self-motivated analysts, who thrive in a fast-paced environment, are inspired to solve problems through critical thinking, and who have a strong work ethic are encouraged to apply. The Senior Management Analyst position provides support to the Government/Municipal Services areas, serves as the budget or program analyst and primary representative of the County Administrator's office to assigned departments; advises departments and exercises central management oversight and control in areas including budget, personnel and administrative policy; performs complex administrative, budgetary, and management analysis; and provides technical support and assistance to senior staff.
Our agency is devoted to serving the citizens of Contra Costa County. Come join us in making a difference!
We are looking for someone who:
What you will typically be responsible for:
- Possesses a solid background in local government administration, including organization planning, work measurement, budgeting, and personnel management
- Has a positive attitude, a strong orientation towards customer service, and a strong work ethic
- Can evaluate situations that can be controversial, problematic, or sensitive, and present options in a clear and concise fashion, while addressing the full spectrum of financial issues in a timely and appropriate manner
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills and is successful at building and maintaining strong working relationships throughout the organization
- Exercises a high level of ethics and integrity and is politically and organizationally astute
- Thrives in a fast-paced, complex, and dynamic environment, can manage a variety of work projects simultaneously and carry them through successful completion while meeting organizational goals and customer expectations
- Adeptly uses word processing, spreadsheet, and database software applications to accurately convey information
- Possesses excellent oral and written communication skills, which will be used to prepare clear, concise, and effective written reports, correspondence, and other materials and to make effective presentations.
A few reasons you might love this job:
- Serving as a member of the County's management team and providing staff support to the County Administrative Office (CAO), Board of Supervisors, other members of the management team and advisory groups
- Working with CAO staff and departments to develop and implement improved policies and financial procedures
- Providing technical advice and assistance to department staff
- Independently formulating recommendations for action, preparing reports and making presentations to management and the public
- Facilitating and conducting analytical studies and surveys to address concerns and promote efficiencies
- Conducting independent written analysis of budget, personnel, and administrative assignments
- Preparing and reviewing Board of Supervisor agenda items
- Coordinating County government programs and/or services
- Reviewing and preparing budget and staffing recommendations for inclusion in the County's annual proposed budget and final budget
- Keeping informed of changing federal and State laws and administrative regulations affecting the budget and departmental operations
- Independently designing, preparing, and maintaining computer spreadsheets of major activities
A few challenges you might face in this job:
- You will be part of the County Administration Team, which provides a great vantage point of the County and how local government works
- You will work with a group of interesting, engaging, and passionate professionals who work hard and are recognized for doing so
- Every day is different, presents new challenges, and you will learn all the time, from the best people
- You will be working in a newly constructed modern workspace and building
- Work environment is fast-paced, involving time constraints and other external pressures
- Frequent and often complex change, which can take time to fully implement - but being the one to make it happen gets you noticed
- You will need well-honed political and organizational savvy and a solid understanding of your role in the organization
- Critical Thinking - Analytically and logically evaluating information, propositions, and claims
- Delivering Results -Meeting organizational goals and customer expectations and making decisions that produce high-quality results by applying technical knowledge, analyzing problems, and calculating risks
- Political & Organizational Savvy - Working skillfully with politics, procedures, and protocols across organizational levels and boundaries
- Professional Integrity & Ethics - Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Analyzing & Interpreting Data - Drawing meaning and conclusions from quantitative or qualitative data
- Self-Management - Showing personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
- Professional Impact - Presenting self as a positive representative of the organization
- Mathematical Facility - Performing computations and solving mathematical problems
- Legal & Regulatory Navigation - Understanding, interpreting, and ensuring compliance with laws and regulations
- Using Technology - Working with electronic hardware and software applications
To read the complete job description, please visit the website,
The eligible list established from this recruitment may remain in effect for six (6) months.
Possession of a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in public administration, political science, business administration, economics, finance, accounting, or a closely related field.
Three (3) years of full-time or its equivalent experience in fiscal operations, budget development and preparation, financial/budget analysis, or governmental analytical work, or any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities. Public sector experience preferred.
Substitution for Experience:
Possession of a master's degree in business or public administration or a closely related field may be substituted for six (6) months of the required experience.
- Application Filing: All applicants must apply on-line at www.cccounty.us/hr and submit the information as indicated on the job announcement by the final filing date. A completed Supplemental Questionnaire is required at the time of applying.
- Online Skills Assessment: Candidates meeting the minimum qualifications will be invited to participate in an online multiple choice assessment. The assessment will measure candidates' competencies as they relate to the Senior Management Analyst classification. The assessment will be administered remotely using a computer. You will need access to a reliable internet connection to take the assessment. It is not recommended to take the assessment using a cell phone. (Weighted 100%) Tentatively scheduled: Week of December 13.
- Hiring Interview: Conducted by a Qualifications Appraisal Board who will evaluate candidates in job-related areas.
The Human Resources Department may change the examination steps noted above in accordance with the Personnel Management Regulations and accepted selection practices.
COVID-19 Vaccine Requirements
Please note that as of August 24, 2021, Contra Costa County enacted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement for employees. Proof of full vaccination will be required of all employees. The policy requirements can be found here:
After you receive a conditional job offer, you will be fingerprinted, and your fingerprints will be sent to the California Department of Justice (DOJ) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The resulting report of your conviction history (if any) will be used to determine whether the nature of your conviction conflicts with the specific duties and responsibilities of the job for which you have received a conditional job offer. If a conflict exists, you will be asked to present any evidence of rehabilitation that may mitigate the conflict, except when federal or state regulations bar employment in specific circumstances. Having a conviction history does not automatically preclude you from a job with Contra Costa County. If you accept a conditional job offer, the Human Resources department will contact you to schedule a fingerprinting appointment.
DISASTER SERVICE WORKER
All Contra Costa County employees are designated Disaster Service Workers through state and local law. Employment with the County requires the affirmation of a loyalty oath to this effect. Employees are required to complete all Disaster Service Worker-related training as assigned, and to return to work as ordered in the event of an emergency.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
It is the policy of Contra Costa County to consider all applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, ancestry, medical condition, genetic information, military or veteran status, or other protected category under the law.