Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
- Graduation with a Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Business, Public Administration, or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years' experience in maintenance and/or operations, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity.
- Experience or education may be substituted up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Valid Class C Texas Drivers License.
Notes to Applicants
The Transportation Supervisor will be an integral part of the Right of Way Management Division ( ROW ). The division is responsible for the permitting of work zones in the public rights of way. This position will be responsible for the inspection and enforcement function of the division and will oversee a staff of inspectors and code enforcement officers operating in a field environment.
Regarding your Application:
A detailed and complete employment application is required to help us better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Please list your complete employment history (to include all job duties responsibilities and employment dates) on your online application. The application is an official document; incomplete applications will not be considered (e.g., "see resume" or "see Linked In Profile"). Resumes will not be used to qualify for the position and will not be used to recommend salary.
This position requires a Valid Class C Texas Drivers License or the ability to acquire one by your hire date. External New Hires must meet the City of Austin's Driver Record Evaluation ( DRE ) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months.
Close Job Posting:
Department may close the job posting at any time after 7 days.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:: This posting may be used to fill other vacancies in other sections within the Division. Decisions on assigned section will be made at the time of hire based on business needs.
Office Location Notes:
Office location is subject to change based on department needs and programs.
$29.69 - $38.59
8-5, M-F, or dependent on business needs. After hours and weekend work will be required to support department operations.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting External
Department Austin Transportation
Grant Funded or Pooled Position Not Applicable
Location 6310 Wilhelmina Delco Dr. Austin, TX 78752.
- Experience with construction techniques and methods, including utility and site development
- Experience with temporary traffic control and work zone management, to include certification from relevant agencies (e.g. ATSSA ) and the interpretation/application of the MUTCD .
- OSHA training/certification
- Experience interpreting and applying the Americans with Disabilities Act
- Experience in reaching diverse groups to obtain buy-in, conflict management, and providing training
- Experience conducting inspections and documenting findings, operating computer applications/databases to track performance measures and report on section operations.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Manages the activities of transportation enterprise operations to include various permitted or non-permitted uses of public rights of way.
2. Coordinates operations of the division with other city divisions, departments or outside entities to ensure City of Austin transportation enterprise operations are maintained.
3. Develops and evaluates short and long range strategies, goals, and action plans to meet business needs.
4. Ensures that traffic operations comply with city ordinances, state and federal laws.
5. Makes recommendations to management on budget development and expenditures, short and long term programs and enterprise initiatives.
6. Monitors and ensures section operates within appropriated enterprise transportation budget.
7. Develops and implements policies and procedures for enterprise transportation operations.
8. Prepares, presents and communicates information to a variety of audiences including the public, city boards, and City Council.
9. Ensures operations of division are met by managing section with changes to equipment, budget and personnel to meet department needs. Ensures the identification and delivery of all appropriate safety training.
10. Prepares and reviews reports as part of the process of monitoring and communicating section performance results.
11. Recommends major purchases and expenditures, develops specifications for product, price, and services to be received.
Responsibilities- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
Responsible for the full range of supervisory activities including selection, training, evaluation, counseling, and recommendation for dismissal.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of fiscal planning and budget preparation.
Knowledge of Federal, State, Local statutes, ordinances and codes.
Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods.
Knowledge of supervisory and managerial techniques and principles.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software applications.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Ability to quickly recognize and analyze irregular events.
Ability to establish and maintain effective communication and working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
City of Austin is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or TTY (512) 974-2445.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in Business, Public Administration or in a field related to the job, plus four (4) years of experience in maintenance and/ or operations, two (2) years of which were in a lead or supervisory capacity. Experience or education may be substituted up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet the minimum qualifications for this position?
- * Please describe how you meet the minimum requirements of this position. Please detail how you meet the educational requirements (if applicable), account for the years of related experience (if applicable), and explain any substitutions of experience for education, or vice-versa (if applicable).
(Open Ended Question)
- * This position requires a valid Texas Class C Driver License. Do you have a valid Texas Class C Driver License or, if selected for this position, do you have the ability to acquire a valid Texas Class C Driver License by your hire date?
- * The City of Austin Driver Eligibility Standards require that External New Hires meet the City's Driver Record Evaluation (DRE) requisite. To be considered for a driving position, applicants cannot have more than three moving violations or a total of six Driver Record Evaluation points within a period of thirty-six (36) months. Do you meet this requirement?
- * If identified as a top candidate, do you agree to a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI)?
- * Which of the following best describes your proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, specifically with Word, Excel, and Outlook?
- No experience
- Basic: create/edit simple documents, spreadsheets, & emails
- Intermediate: create/edit a variety of documents & spreadsheets; reformat document features such as color, font style and size of text, change page size/width, & filter/sort data fields
- Advanced: create/edit complex documents & spreadsheets; integrate features such as tables, charts, mathematic formulas, hyperlinks, graphics; data/mail merge, import data from one document to another
- * Describe your experience directly supervising or leading others. Please indicate the number of years of experience you have in the role.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have experience or working knowledge with the following: established engineering principles, TXMUTCD/MUTCD, Utility Criteria Manual, Transportation Criteria Manual; City code, and State/Federal Law to develop solutions related to the use of the Right-of-Way in construction, maintenance, and special events?
- Experience with all
- Experience with more than half
- Experience with less than half
- * Describe your experience developing standard operating procedures.
(Open Ended Question)
- * How many years of experience do you have related to temporary traffic control?
- 4 or more years
- 3 to 4 years
- 2 to 3 years
- 1 to 2 years
- Less than 1 year
- * Please describe how you meet or expect to develop the competencies listed in the preferred qualifications?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your professional philosophy regarding motivating others?
(Open Ended Question)
- * All applicants applying for this job posting should submit a complete application; resumes submitted should mirror the completed application. Starting salary for the top candidate (s) will only be based on overall relevant experience from your employment application, not the resume or cover letter. Your application will be considered incomplete if your application and resume do not mirror and if your application states "see resume". Do you understand these statements?
Optional & Required Documents
- Cover LetterOptional Documents